Democrats and the left have their own hot button phrases and dog whistles. Here are a few:
- Nukular = This is a recurring punch line among Democrats that means “Republicans are stupid.” Democrats are actually demonstrating their elitism since “nukular” is a regional pronunciation and is not specific to Republican presidents.
- Fox News = By attributing a right-wing thought to Fox News, Democrats are saying that Republicans don’t think for themselves. In fact, it’s a way of shutting down an argument without offering a legitimate rebuttal.
- Fairness = If the outcome leaves someone in worse shape than another, unfairness is at play whether or not anyone was actually treated unfairly. The outcome is the measure.
- Equal Opportunity = Even though the left points to outcomes to prove inequality (see Fairness above), they will go ballistic if you point out the differences between equal outcomes and equal opportunity.
- Social Conservative = The left believes social conservatives are simply racist homophobes under a friendly euphemism. Since “racist homophobe” is politically incorrect, the left thinks, the right is more comfortable calling themselves social conservatives.
- Illegal Immigrant = “Illegal” is an unfair judgment on anyone, and use of the phrase “illegal immigrant” is clear evidence of racism. Preferred Democratic alternatives include “undocumented worker” or “ gardener” or “Democrat voter.”
- Cut = Turning to economic issues, when a Republican wants to cut something, the left hears the word “ban.” Cuts to federal funding for abortion, birth control, or Planned Parenthood are effectively bans, even though abortions and birth control remain available and Planned Parenthood remains open.
- Reduce growth = To the left, reducing growth is a cut. To reduce the growth of a government program from 5% to 4%, they say, has cut the program. Even though the funding for the program will still rise by 4%, Democrats will claim that Republicans have cut funding.